LocOil Buying Group
If you live near Hillesley or Tresham join LocOil, our local oil buying group, and save yourself several pence per litre on heating oil. Here’s how it works:
The oil buying group was set up at the end of 2010 by three local people: Alan Clark from Hillesley, Les Halpin and Richard Goodenough both from Tresham. Richard was the instigator, Les the business advisor and Alan the system provider.
In 2013 we had 110 members in local villages Hillesley, Tresham, Leighterton and Hawkesbury Upton. We ordered 200,000 litres at an average saving of about 2-3 p per litre compared with BoilerJuice.
On the first Tuesday of every month we place an order for the oil required by members. The system works like this:
- Alan’s system emails all members on the previous Friday asking if they require oil.
- Members either indicate no, or the amount of oil they want and submit the form. This is all done on-line. There is a facility to indicate fixed amount or top-up, and for having more than one tank.
- On the Monday afternoon we invite seven suppliers to quote on the basis of orders received up until then.
- On Monday evening we choose the supplier.
- Also on the Monday evening the system sends a reminder to those members who have not responded.
- On Tuesday afternoon, we send the supplier a spreadsheet showing all the details of the orders.
- The supplier contacts each member to arrange payment and advise the delivery date which is usually that week or by the following Tuesday at the latest.
If you have any questions or would like to join the Group (at no cost), write to.