Tresham is a village in Gloucestershire, England. It was transferred back from the county of Avon in 1991, having been in Gloucestershire before 1972. Now in Stroud District, it forms part of the civil parish of Hillesley and Tresham. It is in the Cotswold A.O.N.B., on the Monarch’s Way and near the Cotswold Way.
In common with most small villages in the UK, Tresham has lost most of its community buildings. According to the deeds, the Plough Inn was closed and converted to a domestic residence in July 1963 by a conveyance from West Country Breweries to Mrs A. R. Hale. And the shop/post office closed around 1980.
However, the same fate has not befallen Tresham Church.
More recently, the Millenium Garden with toposcope and bench was created in 2000 by villagers.
If you would like to contribute any item of historical interest please write to.
Tresham Village Hall
In March 1955 Squire Hale conveyed under a trust deed what was left of the Village Hall (formerly the Village School), it having been destroyed by fire in the autumn of 1954. The deed allowed that the proceeds could be applied “in the purchase of other premises or in the improvement of any premises used or to be used for the purposes of the trust or upon trust to apply the same for such other charitable purpose for the benefit of the inhabitants of the said Hamlet of Tresham”.
Local residents rebuilt the hall for use as a youth club but over time it fell into disuse and was eventually sold in 1979 to the owner of Old School House. The proceeds have been partly invested which generates a small income. In accordance with the deed, the fund has been used together with income from village activities and donations to: help fund village events to promote community feeling; help support Tresham Church, the only community building in the village; and fund minor physical improvements to our village.
Over the years, the fund has paid for materials for improvements such as Well Hill steps and garden, and helped with large repairs to the church. It has been ready to meet the cost of other projects such as the kerbing of Well Hill and the recent strengthening of the verge for parking, but for the Parish Council stepping in. On an on-going basis it: bears the cost of hosting the village website; supports an annual lunch for Seniors; makes financial contributions to other community events (for example, a trip to the pantomime and a skittles evening); and is the means by which grass-cutting has been funded.
Tresham Village Hall is a registered charity, no: 286008, and is recognised by HMRC as a charity for tax purposes. An annual return is made to the Charity Commission each year and the results have been reported to the Parish Council. Activity increased in the year ended 31 March 2017, and accounts can be viewed via www.tresham.org.uk/category/have-you-heard/.
Donations can be made via our page on MyDonate which enables Gift Aid to be claimed.
Bits and Bobs
You may be interested to know that our water comes from a 300m borehole down at Alderley lakes. From there it is pumped to Kilcott where the supply divides: one leg goes up to Hawkesbury Upton and on to Little Badminton, the other leg comes up to Tresham. The Hawkesbury reservoir can be used to top up Tresham before the system “calls” for more supply.
Mains water came to Tresham in the early 1950’s. Prior to that villagers would draw water from the well at the foot of Well Hill next to the bench and topograph. But in the fifties the row of council houses was built and this brought electricity and mains water to the village.
Three-phase electricity was brought into the village on 25 Aug 2017.
Photographs from a Bygone Age
We would very much like to borrow old photographs of Tresham and scan them for this section. Perhaps these will whet your appetite:
from Graham Watson :